About MyWegmansConnect and Wegmans
Helping you live a healthier, good life through food
Wegmans Ownership and Management
Wegmans is a regional grocery chain with 99 shops: 46 at New York, 18 at Pennsylvania, 9 at New Jersey, 12 at Virginia, 8 in Maryland, and 6 at Massachusetts. It is among the biggest private companies in the U.S.:
- 49,000 workers
- Annual earnings in 2018 of 9.2 billion
- 28th about the 2019 Supermarket News listing of the Top 75 Supermarkets according to sales quantity
Wegmans is a family-owned firm, founded in 1916, headquartered in Rochester, NY. Danny’s daughter Nicole Wegman is sr. vice president. Robert Wegman, Danny’s dad, was chairman before his departure in April 2006.
Our FoundersBrothers Walter and John Wegman (Robert Wegman’s dad and uncle) discovered the food industry by working in their own parents’ shop in Rochester. John peddled natural produce from a pushcart, & in 1916, he started the Rochester Fruit & Vegetable Company, which marks the start of Wegmans Food Markets. Walter joined him a year later. Robert Wegman assumed leadership of the business in 1950, directing it until his departure in 2006.
Provide more option: 50,000 to 70,000 goods (at the biggest stores), when compared with a mean of just over 40,000 (based on the Food Marketing Institute) in several markets. Over 4,000 organic products throughout the shop.
Are bigger than many niches: (We want room for all that stuff!) Shops run 75,000 to 140,000 square feet in dimension, with huge aisles.
Feel and look just like a European open-air marketplace: Dazzling displays of fresh produce, artisan bread, and other baked products warm from the oven many times every day. Meat, fresh-caught fish, deli goods and imported cheeses, global foods, and all of the grocery stores, dairy, frozen, and family items usually found at a grocery store.
- An Economy Café–supplying take-out or in-store, with seats for 100 to up of 300
- Restaurant-quality entrees, soups, pastries, gourmet sandwiches, and side dishes
- Sushi made fresh daily, in Many Different vegetables, cooked, and raw made-to-order choices
- Old-fashioned Sub Shop supplying cold and hot subs/wraps, party trays, and biscuits
- The Buzz Coffee Shop with specialty coffee, tea, and breakfast sandwiches
- Organic Salad Bar, Veggie Bar, Homestyle Bar, along with Asian Bar
- Pizza Shop including thin-crust pizza, calzones and poultry wings
- Bakery–European rolls and bread, water-boiled bagels, muffins, pies, cakes, and pastries
- Nature’s Marketplace–organic and natural foods, nutritional supplements, high-quality teas, and foods for special dietary requirements, such as fermented
- Pharmacy, offering home delivery, automatic refills, as well as pet medicines
- Housewares and seasonal product –what to amuse, prepare, serve, and also observe meals
- Floral Shop, greeting cards, and presents
- Health and beauty care products; makeup; body and bath
Who We Are
- We care about the well-being and Achievement of Each person.
- High standards are a means of life.
- We create a difference in each community we serve.
- We listen and respect to our clients.
- We enable our clients to make decisions that enhance their job and benefit our customers and our firm.
What We Think
In Wegmans, we feel that decent people, working toward a frequent goal, can achieve anything they set out to perform.
Within this spirit, we place our aim to be the very best in serving the demands of our customers. Every action we take must be produced with this in mind.
In addition, we think that we may reach our goal only if we meet the requirements of our people.
To our CUSTOMERS and our PEOPLE, we guarantee continuous improvement, and we make the commitment: daily you receive our finest.
Our origins go back to 1916, and we have hit many, many landmarks that have gained attention in the supermarket business ever since that time. Here is more about the journey that required Wegmans from its beginnings to today.